UPDATE: The hiring process is now complete and an announcement pending.
The SHMA is hiring a business development director who will be the face of the Surrey Hotel & Motel Association. This role will be responsible for creating new business opportunities while leading key organizational initiatives to better support Surrey’s hotel and motel businesses.
Know someone who is a fit? Get them to apply today by sending a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Business Development Director Job Responsibilities:
- Build relationships with key hotel and motel stakeholders via digital and in-person meetings
- Identify and develop new business opportunities.
- Build relationships with customers, suppliers, distributors, partners, and vendors.
- Evaluate existing partnerships and sales efforts with an eye toward building on what works and changing what doesn’t.
- Manage key client relationships and work to build new ones.
- Manage event and meeting sales leads including distribution to Surrey accommodation providers through Simpleview CRM.
- Review agency marketing results and communications.
- Attend key industry trade & convention shows and represent Surrey’s accommodation sector.
- Lead sales, marketing, customer-service, and client relationship management teams.
- Develop and strengthen internal and external relationships that will lead to increased lead generation and market share.
- Manage relationships with external partners including City of Surrey and Discover Surrey.
- Assist in development of key performance indicators measurement system.
- Assist in annual MRDT reporting and strategic planning.
- Visit membership and create a value added relationship.
- Track emerging markets and trends.
- Foster and work to maintain an entrepreneurial growth culture throughout the company and across all teams and work functions.
- Identify and recommend new services.
- Refine and further improve the structure of member and stakeholder engagements.
- Propose and help develop strategies to best support Surrey’s accommodation sector.
- Help to shape the Association’s long-term objectives and determine plans for how to meet them.
- Research and identify new markets.
- Provide advice on product development and distribution and promotion strategies.
- Identify sponsorship opportunities, including nonprofit engagement.
- Travel to vendor locations, distribution centers, and other locations.
- Fulfill requests for proposals (RFPs) from potential partners and customers.
- Help direct development of customer-facing web platforms and digital experiences.
Business Development Director Qualifications/Skills:
- 4-5 years’ sales or marketing experience in tourism and/or accommodation sectors
- 3-5 years’ supervisory of management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, or related field, MBA and asset
- Self-motivated and able to achieve both short-term and long-term results with minimal oversight.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders
- Sales/business development experience
- Relationship management
- Leadership, management, and mentoring skills
- Strategic planning skills
- Knowledge of product and sector to help build the Surrey brand.
- Financial and business acumen
- Responsible for delivering projects on time by adhering to deadlines
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Experience working with Destination Management Organizations or Civic Government
- Effective organizational skills, ability to multitask
- Experience with Simpleview or CVent
- Valid Driver’s license and vehicle to meet with clients
- Negotiation skills
- Familiarity with technology and platforms used in the field
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and customer-service skills
- Big-picture thinking
- Lead generation and management experience
- Fast learner
- Enthusiasm and sincerity
- This position may extend to a permanent position at end of contract
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 11 months (strong probability this is extended into a permanent position)
Salary: $75,000.00-$90,000.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Surrey, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Surrey, BC
Application deadline: 2023-03-31